Monday, December 6, 2010

I'll Take You Anywhere You Want...

What is the definition of "Home"?

According to Dictionary.com:

noun, adjective, adverb, verb, homed, hom·ing.


–noun

1. a house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family, or household.

2. the place in which one's domestic affections are centered.

3. an institution for the homeless, sick, etc.: a nursing home.

4. the dwelling place or retreat of an animal.

5. the place or region where something is native or most common.

6. any place of residence or refuge: a heavenly home.

7. a person's native place or own country.

It doesn't mention "Home" being a person or an object. Can your "Home" be a person or an animal instead of a dwelling area for a person or animal?
 
I am often confused by the meaning of the word "Home". I have always been told from a very young age that my house that I live in is my "Home". That my city in which I currently reside in is my "Home". Except, my entire life I have always felt this to be the complete opposite. I have always been what you would call a "drifter". I drift from certain groups of friends, from boyfriend to boyfriend, never finding my place. Being a 19 year old female, this isn't considered unusual behavior.
 
It is, however, unusual behavior when you start to lose yourself and who you really are. Hurting others and yourself, searching for something to not make you feel so empty and alone anymore. I thought "Home" was supposed to make you feel safe, secure, and give you a sense of belonging?
 
Sometimes, I fear wonder if i'll ever find my "Home". I keep expecting "Home" to be a person or some special place that is just for me and me only.
 
Only time will tell.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if "home" is definable for every individual.
    I would say "home" is a feeling of belonging, and the only consistent place I have found that to be is in my own thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes even my own thoughts are not very welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course--but, they are yours. You should make friends with even the bad thoughts. No one can see in there but you.

    ReplyDelete